TSCA Title VI Import Certification Begins March 22
On March 22, the TSCA Title VI import certification requirement that applies to composite wood products (panels of hardwood plywood, particleboard, medium density fiberboard, thin-medium density fiberboard, etc.,) component parts containing such composite wood products, and finished goods containing such composite wood products that are imported into the U.S. goes into effect.
The EPA has updated its “Tips for Trade when filing an EPA TSCA Certification in ACE” as guidance for the Trade when filing certifications. In addition to certification, under the TSCA Title VI regulation, importers must also:
- Keep Records. Take reasonable precautions by retaining, for three years, bills of lading, invoices, or comparable documents that include a written statement from the supplier that the composite wood products (or component parts/finished goods) are TSCA Title VI compliant.
- Provide Records on Request. When EPA requests, make available within 30 days records identifying 1) the panel producer and the date the composite wood products were produced; and 2) records identifying the supplier, if different, and the date the composite wood products (or component parts/finished goods) were purchased.
To ensure you are ready for the March 22 date, we’ve compiled a list of tips and resources below:
On February 26, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention (EPA), along with U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Office of Trade Relations (OTR) and Office of Trade (OT), presented an overview of the TSCA Title VI regulation as it applies to imported composite wood products, component parts, and finished goods as well as the March 22 TSCA Section 13 import certification date and how import certification will be completed in the ACE-ITDS environment.
- To help stay informed, you may sign up for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention Email List
- HTS Flag: HTS code in ACE is flagged EP7 for EPA TSCA Title VI (Formaldehyde Emission Standards for Composite Wood Products
- Positive Certification Statement is the only allowable choice for Title VI (Formaldehyde-Containing Wood Products)
Disclaimer B: This disclaim code is not allowed for TSCA Title VI certifications